Alakai Defense Systems, Inc. is a Defense Contractor, inventor, developer, and manufacturer of next generation standoff sensor and technology solutions. Alakai specializes in laser and electro-optic remote sensing and systems integration to detect trace molecules of military and forensic significance such as explosives, Improvised Explosive Devices (IED), and CBRNE threats and narcotics.
Alakai has over 15 years successful experience in consulting, Science and Technology (S&T), Research and Development (R&D), and prototyping in Government Contracting, and has achieved international recognition. Our company is characterized by a culture of professionalism, competence, speed, agility, and ability to manage the uncertainty of the defense industry. We are a small, collegial, entrepreneurial team which regularly excels at achieving the impossible, and have a passion for improving our company to better deploy our life-saving technologies. We protect those who protect us, here and abroad.
· Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance.
Software Engineer (Entry Level)
MUST BE A US CITIZEN DUE TO CONTRACTUAL REQUIREMENTS
Under the direction and supervision of the Software Team Lead this position will:
· Assist with managing projects through the entire product development life cycle.
· Participate in the design, and development of software.
· Contribute to project design and strategic direction.
· Assist with the design of client/server applications using a range of technologies on multiple hardware platforms.
· With experience, take on an increasing responsible/independent role in assignments.
Under the direction and leadership of the Software Team Lead, the Software Engineer will:
· Perform software programming and development of documentation for Client-Server and Desktop applications.
· Develop code for systems that control electrical and/or mechanical subsystems.
· Develop and maintain Android applications.
· Debug software; identify and solve hardware/software interface issues, particularly serial communications.
Required Education and Experience:
· Bachelor of Science in Computer Science/Software Engineering.
· Exposure to working on embedded system.
· Exposure to developing device driver code.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance:
· Subject to a government security investigation and must meet the eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
· Eligibility for Department of Defense Security Clearance required. Active Department of Defense Secret Clearance preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, receive and respond to oral telephone communications. The employee frequently is required to sit, stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The employee routinely utilizes standard office equipment (personal computer, calculator, and photocopier). The employee is routinely required to perform repetitive keyboard operations.
The employee is exposed to minimum noise level in the work environment.
The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is regularly required to sit.
The above position description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. Requests for reasonable accommodations will be considered to enable individuals with disabilities to perform principal (essential) functions of this job.
Preferred Education and Experience:
· Experience with: C/C++, C#, Java.
· Exposure to WCF and WPF applications using MVVM design patterns.
· Exposure to Android app development and knowledge of Android SDKs.
· Basic understanding of application development experience in both Windows and Linux platforms.
· Familiarity with .NET and .NET Core Framework.
· Familiarity with the following communications standards and protocols: Bluetooth, Ethernet TCP/IP and UDP, CANbus, and Serial/RS-232/RS-422/RS-485.
· Basic understanding of code versioning tools such as Subversion/SVN.
· Projects that demonstrate ability in the above competencies to include the experience listed above.
· With guidance, develop, design, or create new applications, systems, or products.
· Ability to operate in a dynamic small-business work environment.
· Ability to work in a team environment with other hardware and software engineers required.
· Ability to interact positively and professionally with employees at all levels of the organization, and outside vendors.
· Ability to be flexible and adaptable to constant changes in the organization.
· Ability to work effectively under pressure & manage multiple tasks and deadlines.
· Ability to prioritize workload and quickly adjust to frequent change in requirements.
· Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment.
· Fluency in English is expected.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.